Beginner Running Program in Herculaneum, MO
Beginner running program in Herculaneum, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can boost your mood, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and nearly anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Herculaneum, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Herculaneum, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Herculaneum, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Herculaneum, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, constant development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to buying good running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Herculaneum, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Herculaneum, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Herculaneum, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Herculaneum, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Herculaneum, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Herculaneum, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Herculaneum, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Herculaneum, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Herculaneum, MO, request an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location closest to you.