Beginner Running Program in High Ridge, MO
Beginner running program in High Ridge, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in High Ridge, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to more physical activity than your body’s used to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in High Ridge, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in High Ridge, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some High Ridge, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many advantages to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and feels less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in High Ridge, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our High Ridge, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in High Ridge, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in High Ridge, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more rigorous running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the High Ridge, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our High Ridge, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in High Ridge, MO
Starting a beginner running program in High Ridge, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in High Ridge, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.