Beginner Running Program in Hillsboro, MO
Beginner running program in Hillsboro, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost mental health, help you lose weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Hillsboro, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than your body’s used to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with almost no equipment. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Hillsboro, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Hillsboro, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Hillsboro, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Hillsboro, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Hillsboro, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Hillsboro, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Hillsboro, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Hillsboro, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Hillsboro, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Hillsboro, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Hillsboro, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Hillsboro, MO, contact us online, or contact the Axes location closest to you.