Beginner Running Program in Holstein, MO
Beginner running program in Holstein, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Holstein, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Holstein, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Holstein, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Holstein, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, constant improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unrealistic goals may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Holstein, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Holstein, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Holstein, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Holstein, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Holstein, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Holstein, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Holstein, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Holstein, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Holstein, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location nearest you.