Beginner Running Program in Hopewell, MO
Beginner running program in Hopewell, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Hopewell, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Hopewell, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Hopewell, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Hopewell, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like high knees that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Hopewell, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Hopewell, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Hopewell, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Hopewell, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Hopewell, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Hopewell, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Hopewell, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Hopewell, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Hopewell, MO, request an appointment online, or call the Axes location nearest you.