Beginner Running Program in Horine, MO
Beginner running program in Horine, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost mental health, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Horine, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Horine, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Horine, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Horine, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about tenacity, progressive improvement, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually build up how long you run for as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and experience less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Horine, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Horine, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Horine, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Horine, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more rigorous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Horine, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Horine, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Horine, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Horine, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Horine, MO, contact us online, or contact the Axes location closest to you.