Beginner Running Program in House Springs, MO
Beginner running program in House Springs, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve your mood, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and just about anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in House Springs, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in House Springs, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in House Springs, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some House Springs, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about determination, progressive development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like high knees that boost flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in House Springs, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our House Springs, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in House Springs, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in House Springs, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the House Springs, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in House Springs, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in House Springs, MO
Starting a beginner running program in House Springs, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in House Springs, MO, contact us through our website, or call the Axes location closest to you.