Beginner Running Program in Imperial, MO
Beginner running program in Imperial, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Imperial, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Imperial, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Imperial, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Imperial, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to buying proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Imperial, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Imperial, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Imperial, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Imperial, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more strenuous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Imperial, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Imperial, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Imperial, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Imperial, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Imperial, MO, make an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location closest to you.