Beginner Running Program in Jefferson Barracks, MO
Beginner running program in Jefferson Barracks, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can boost mental health, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Jefferson Barracks, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re used to. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Jefferson Barracks, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Jefferson Barracks, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Jefferson Barracks, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, progressive development, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Jefferson Barracks, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Jefferson Barracks, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Jefferson Barracks, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Jefferson Barracks, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Jefferson Barracks, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Jefferson Barracks, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Jefferson Barracks, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Jefferson Barracks, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Jefferson Barracks, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.