Beginner Running Program in Josephville, MO
Beginner running program in Josephville, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve mental health, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Josephville, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and economical way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Josephville, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Josephville, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Josephville, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to buying good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like high knees that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Josephville, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Josephville, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Josephville, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Josephville, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more strenuous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Josephville, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Josephville, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Josephville, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Josephville, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Josephville, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location closest to you.