Beginner Running Program in Kampville, MO
Beginner running program in Kampville, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can boost your mood, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and nearly anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Kampville, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Kampville, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Kampville, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Kampville, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about tenacity, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Kampville, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Kampville, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Kampville, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Kampville, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more challenging running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Kampville, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Kampville, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Kampville, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Kampville, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Kampville, MO, make an appointment online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.