Beginner Running Program in Kinloch, MO
Beginner running program in Kinloch, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Kinloch, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Kinloch, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Kinloch, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Kinloch, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, progressive improvement, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to buying good running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and experience less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Kinloch, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Kinloch, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Kinloch, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Kinloch, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more strenuous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Kinloch, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Kinloch, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Kinloch, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Kinloch, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Kinloch, MO, contact us through our website, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.