Beginner Running Program in Knob Lick, MO
Beginner running program in Knob Lick, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Knob Lick, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and affordable way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Knob Lick, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Knob Lick, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Knob Lick, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Knob Lick, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Knob Lick, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Knob Lick, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Knob Lick, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more demanding running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Knob Lick, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Knob Lick, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Knob Lick, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Knob Lick, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Knob Lick, MO, contact us through our website, or call the Axes location closest to you.