Beginner Running Program in Lake St. Louis, MO
Beginner running program in Lake St. Louis, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can boost your mood, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and almost anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Lake St. Louis, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Lake St. Louis, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Lake St. Louis, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Lake St. Louis, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, constant improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Lake St. Louis, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Lake St. Louis, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Lake St. Louis, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Lake St. Louis, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more rigorous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Lake St. Louis, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Lake St. Louis, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Lake St. Louis, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Lake St. Louis, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Lake St. Louis, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.