Beginner Running Program in Lake Tekawitha, MO
Beginner running program in Lake Tekawitha, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve your mood, help you lose weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Lake Tekawitha, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than your body’s used to. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and affordable way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Lake Tekawitha, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Lake Tekawitha, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Lake Tekawitha, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about determination, constant improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Lake Tekawitha, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Lake Tekawitha, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Lake Tekawitha, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Lake Tekawitha, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more demanding running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Lake Tekawitha, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Lake Tekawitha, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Lake Tekawitha, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Lake Tekawitha, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Lake Tekawitha, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.