Beginner Running Program in Leadwood, MO
Beginner running program in Leadwood, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Leadwood, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Leadwood, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Leadwood, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Leadwood, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Leadwood, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Leadwood, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Leadwood, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Leadwood, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more strenuous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Leadwood, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Leadwood, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Leadwood, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Leadwood, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Leadwood, MO, schedule an appointment online, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.