Beginner Running Program in Liguori, MO
Beginner running program in Liguori, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Liguori, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Liguori, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Liguori, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Liguori, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about tenacity, progressive development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying good running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that boost flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek our a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Liguori, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Liguori, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Liguori, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Liguori, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more strenuous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Liguori, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Liguori, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Liguori, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Liguori, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Liguori, MO, request an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.