Beginner Running Program in Manchester, MO
Beginner running program in Manchester, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can boost mental health, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Manchester, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Manchester, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Manchester, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Manchester, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, progressive development, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many advantages to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Manchester, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Manchester, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Manchester, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Manchester, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more rigorous running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Manchester, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Manchester, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Manchester, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Manchester, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Manchester, MO, contact us through our website, or call the Axes location nearest you.