Beginner Running Program in Mapaville, MO
Beginner running program in Mapaville, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Mapaville, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than you’re used to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Mapaville, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Mapaville, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Mapaville, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, constant improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and experience less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Mapaville, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Mapaville, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Mapaville, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Mapaville, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more rigorous running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Mapaville, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Mapaville, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Mapaville, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Mapaville, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Mapaville, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.