Beginner Running Program in Marlborough, MO
Beginner running program in Marlborough, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and just about anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Marlborough, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than you’re used to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Marlborough, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Marlborough, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Marlborough, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Marlborough, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Marlborough, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Marlborough, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Marlborough, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more strenuous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Marlborough, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Marlborough, MO include:
- Total Knee Replacement Physical Therapy
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Marlborough, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Marlborough, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Marlborough, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.