Beginner Running Program in Marthasville, MO
Beginner running program in Marthasville, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can boost mental health, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and almost anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Marthasville, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than your body’s used to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and economical way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Marthasville, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Marthasville, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Marthasville, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Marthasville, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Marthasville, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Marthasville, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Marthasville, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more strenuous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also show you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Marthasville, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Marthasville, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Marthasville, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Marthasville, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Marthasville, MO, schedule an appointment online, or call the Axes location closest to you.