Beginner Running Program in Matson, MO
Beginner running program in Matson, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Matson, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and economical way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Matson, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Matson, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Matson, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, progressive development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many advantages to buying good running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Matson, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Matson, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Matson, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Matson, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more challenging running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Matson, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Matson, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Matson, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Matson, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Matson, MO, make an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.