Beginner Running Program in Meacham Park, MO
Beginner running program in Meacham Park, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Meacham Park, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and affordable way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Meacham Park, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Meacham Park, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Meacham Park, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, progressive development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that boost flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and experience less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Meacham Park, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Meacham Park, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Meacham Park, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Meacham Park, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more rigorous running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Meacham Park, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Meacham Park, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Meacham Park, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Meacham Park, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Meacham Park, MO, contact us online, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.