Beginner Running Program in Mechanicsville, MO
Beginner running program in Mechanicsville, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and nearly anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Mechanicsville, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Mechanicsville, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Mechanicsville, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Mechanicsville, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek our a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Mechanicsville, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Mechanicsville, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Mechanicsville, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Mechanicsville, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more strenuous running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Mechanicsville, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Mechanicsville, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Mechanicsville, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Mechanicsville, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Mechanicsville, MO, contact us through our website, or contact the Axes location closest to you.