Beginner Running Program in Moscow Mills, MO
Beginner running program in Moscow Mills, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you manage your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and just about anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Moscow Mills, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re used to. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and economical way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Moscow Mills, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Moscow Mills, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Moscow Mills, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, progressive development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Moscow Mills, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Moscow Mills, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Moscow Mills, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Moscow Mills, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more challenging running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Moscow Mills, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Moscow Mills, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Moscow Mills, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Moscow Mills, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Moscow Mills, MO, schedule an appointment online, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.