Beginner Running Program in Murphy, MO
Beginner running program in Murphy, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can boost your mood, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Murphy, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than your body’s used to. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Murphy, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Murphy, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Murphy, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, constant improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Murphy, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Murphy, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Murphy, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Murphy, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more demanding running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Murphy, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Murphy, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Murphy, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Murphy, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Murphy, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.