Beginner Running Program in New Melle, MO
Beginner running program in New Melle, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can improve your mood, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in New Melle, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and economical way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in New Melle, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in New Melle, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some New Melle, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and setting unrealistic goals may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many advantages to getting good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and experience less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in New Melle, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our New Melle, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in New Melle, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in New Melle, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the New Melle, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our New Melle, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in New Melle, MO
Starting a beginner running program in New Melle, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in New Melle, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.