Beginner Running Program in New Town, MO
Beginner running program in New Town, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can improve mental health, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in New Town, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in New Town, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in New Town, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some New Town, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in New Town, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our New Town, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in New Town, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in New Town, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the New Town, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in New Town, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in New Town, MO
Starting a beginner running program in New Town, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in New Town, MO, contact us online, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.