Beginner Running Program in Oakland, MO
Beginner running program in Oakland, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can improve mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Oakland, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Oakland, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Oakland, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Oakland, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, constant development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like high knees that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Oakland, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Oakland, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Oakland, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Oakland, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Oakland, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Oakland, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Oakland, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Oakland, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Oakland, MO, request an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.