Beginner Running Program in Oakville, MO
Beginner running program in Oakville, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve mental health, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and almost anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Oakville, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Oakville, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Oakville, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Oakville, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, constant development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Oakville, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Oakville, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Oakville, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Oakville, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more demanding running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Oakville, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Oakville, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Oakville, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Oakville, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Oakville, MO, schedule an appointment online, or contact the Axes location nearest you.