Beginner Running Program in Old Jamestown, MO
Beginner running program in Old Jamestown, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Old Jamestown, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and affordable way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Old Jamestown, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Old Jamestown, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Old Jamestown, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, constant development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as you go.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like high knees that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Old Jamestown, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Old Jamestown, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Old Jamestown, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Old Jamestown, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more demanding running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also show you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Old Jamestown, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Old Jamestown, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Old Jamestown, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Old Jamestown, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Old Jamestown, MO, contact us through our website, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.