Beginner Running Program in Old Monroe, MO
Beginner running program in Old Monroe, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Old Monroe, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Old Monroe, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Old Monroe, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Old Monroe, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about tenacity, progressive improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Old Monroe, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Old Monroe, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Old Monroe, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Old Monroe, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more rigorous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Old Monroe, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Old Monroe, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Old Monroe, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Old Monroe, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Old Monroe, MO, contact us through our website, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.