Beginner Running Program in Olympian Village, MO
Beginner running program in Olympian Village, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Olympian Village, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Olympian Village, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Olympian Village, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Olympian Village, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, constant improvement, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Olympian Village, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Olympian Village, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Olympian Village, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Olympian Village, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more challenging running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Olympian Village, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Olympian Village, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Olympian Village, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Olympian Village, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Olympian Village, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location closest to you.