Beginner Running Program in Ozark View, MO
Beginner running program in Ozark View, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost your mood, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Ozark View, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Ozark View, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Ozark View, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Ozark View, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like high knees that boost range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Ozark View, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Ozark View, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Ozark View, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Ozark View, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more rigorous running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Ozark View, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Ozark View, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Ozark View, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Ozark View, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Ozark View, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location closest to you.