Beginner Running Program in Park Hills, MO
Beginner running program in Park Hills, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and just about anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Park Hills, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Park Hills, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Park Hills, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Park Hills, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many pros to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Park Hills, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Park Hills, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Park Hills, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Park Hills, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more demanding running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Park Hills, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Park Hills, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Park Hills, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Park Hills, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Park Hills, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location closest to you.