Beginner Running Program in Parkdale, MO
Beginner running program in Parkdale, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you manage your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and just about anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Parkdale, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and economical way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Parkdale, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Parkdale, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Parkdale, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, constant improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and setting unrealistic goals may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many advantages to buying good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Parkdale, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Parkdale, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Parkdale, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Parkdale, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more rigorous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Parkdale, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Parkdale, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Parkdale, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Parkdale, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Parkdale, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location nearest you.