Beginner Running Program in Parkway, MO
Beginner running program in Parkway, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Parkway, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and economical way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Parkway, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Parkway, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Parkway, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, progressive development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Parkway, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Parkway, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Parkway, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Parkway, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more demanding running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Parkway, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Parkway, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Parkway, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Parkway, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Parkway, MO, contact us through our website, or call the Axes location nearest you.