Beginner Running Program in Paulina Hills, MO
Beginner running program in Paulina Hills, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve your mood, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Paulina Hills, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to more physical activity than you’re used to. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Paulina Hills, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Paulina Hills, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Paulina Hills, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Paulina Hills, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Paulina Hills, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Paulina Hills, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Paulina Hills, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more rigorous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Paulina Hills, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Paulina Hills, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Paulina Hills, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Paulina Hills, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Paulina Hills, MO, make an appointment online, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.