Beginner Running Program in Peerless Park, MO
Beginner running program in Peerless Park, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and just about anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Peerless Park, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and affordable way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Peerless Park, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Peerless Park, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Peerless Park, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, progressive development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like high knees that boost range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Peerless Park, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Peerless Park, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Peerless Park, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Peerless Park, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more demanding running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also show you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Peerless Park, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Peerless Park, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Peerless Park, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Peerless Park, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Peerless Park, MO, contact us through our website, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.