Beginner Running Program in Pevely, MO
Beginner running program in Pevely, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Pevely, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and affordable way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Pevely, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Pevely, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Pevely, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Pevely, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Pevely, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Pevely, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Pevely, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Pevely, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Pevely, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Pevely, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Pevely, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Pevely, MO, request an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.