Beginner Running Program in Pinckney, MO
Beginner running program in Pinckney, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve your mood, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Pinckney, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Pinckney, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Pinckney, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Pinckney, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, progressive development, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Pinckney, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Pinckney, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Pinckney, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Pinckney, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more rigorous running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Pinckney, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Pinckney, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Pinckney, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Pinckney, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Pinckney, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.