Beginner Running Program in Portage Des Sioux, MO
Beginner running program in Portage Des Sioux, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Portage Des Sioux, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and affordable way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Portage Des Sioux, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Portage Des Sioux, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Portage Des Sioux, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Portage Des Sioux, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Portage Des Sioux, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Portage Des Sioux, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Portage Des Sioux, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Portage Des Sioux, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Portage Des Sioux, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Portage Des Sioux, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Portage Des Sioux, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Portage Des Sioux, MO, schedule an appointment online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.