Beginner Running Program in Potosi, MO
Beginner running program in Potosi, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve your mood, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and nearly anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Potosi, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Potosi, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Potosi, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Potosi, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Potosi, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Potosi, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Potosi, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Potosi, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more rigorous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Potosi, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Potosi, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Potosi, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Potosi, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Potosi, MO, make an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.