Beginner Running Program in Preston Woods, MO
Beginner running program in Preston Woods, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Preston Woods, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Preston Woods, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Preston Woods, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Preston Woods, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, constant development, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and experience less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Preston Woods, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Preston Woods, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Preston Woods, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Preston Woods, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more rigorous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Preston Woods, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Preston Woods, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Preston Woods, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Preston Woods, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Preston Woods, MO, request an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.