Beginner Running Program in Ranken, MO
Beginner running program in Ranken, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve mental health, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Ranken, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Ranken, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Ranken, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Ranken, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many advantages to buying good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Ranken, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Ranken, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Ranken, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Ranken, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Ranken, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Ranken, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Ranken, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Ranken, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Ranken, MO, make an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location nearest you.