Beginner Running Program in Roxana, IL
Beginner running program in Roxana, IL. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and nearly anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Roxana, IL, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than your body’s used to. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Roxana, IL, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Roxana, IL
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Roxana, IL residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about determination, progressive development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like high knees that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Roxana, IL Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Roxana, IL physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Roxana, IL can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Roxana, IL can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Roxana, IL physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Roxana, IL physical therapists can also assist you with:
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Roxana, IL
Starting a beginner running program in Roxana, IL does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Roxana, IL, contact us through our website, or contact the Axes location closest to you.