Beginner Running Program in Schluersburg, MO
Beginner running program in Schluersburg, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Schluersburg, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and affordable way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Schluersburg, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Schluersburg, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Schluersburg, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, progressive development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Schluersburg, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Schluersburg, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Schluersburg, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Schluersburg, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more demanding running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Schluersburg, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Schluersburg, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Schluersburg, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Schluersburg, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Schluersburg, MO, schedule an appointment online, or call the Axes location closest to you.