Beginner Running Program in Scotsdale, MO
Beginner running program in Scotsdale, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Scotsdale, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Scotsdale, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Scotsdale, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Scotsdale, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about tenacity, progressive development, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Scotsdale, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Scotsdale, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Scotsdale, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Scotsdale, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more rigorous running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Scotsdale, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Scotsdale, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Scotsdale, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Scotsdale, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Scotsdale, MO, contact us through our website, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.