Beginner Running Program in Shiloh, IL
Beginner running program in Shiloh, IL. The benefits of running are any: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Shiloh, IL, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Shiloh, IL, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Shiloh, IL
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Shiloh, IL residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, progressive improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Shiloh, IL Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Shiloh, IL physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Shiloh, IL can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Shiloh, IL can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more rigorous running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Shiloh, IL physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Shiloh, IL include:
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Shiloh, IL
Starting a beginner running program in Shiloh, IL does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Shiloh, IL, request an appointment online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.