Beginner Running Program in South County, MO
Beginner running program in South County, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can boost mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in South County, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in South County, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in South County, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some South County, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, progressive development, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek our a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in South County, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our South County, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in South County, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in South County, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more strenuous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the South County, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our South County, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in South County, MO
Starting a beginner running program in South County, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in South County, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location closest to you.